Personal Halfquake
StartGeneral InformationCreate Institute
View All PagesView Statistics

Syndel's Spire
Syndel's Spire

Introduction
My texts (78)
My series (10)

PHQ-Nickname:
Syndel

Halfquake:
Mania

Level:
73

Total kills:
19,801,662

Birthday:
00th 0000

Adventure 2

Mood:weird
Type:Article
Added:June 10th 2007, 19:45:22
Visits:1194
Series:[ Writeing Experiments ]
Rating:5/5 (Votes: 2)

Description:
Less of a writing experiment this time and more of a game experiment. This is and adventure/puzzle game.

A transcript of a sort of "Choose your own adventure" made on the fly. This is part two.

Note: names have been edited to protect the stupid.

Matt says:
LOAD GAME
Skillasaur says:
ohshit
Skillasaur says:
ummmm
Matt says:
lol
Skillasaur says:
Load which slot 1-10?
Matt says:
Which one did I save too?
Skillasaur says:
ummm prolly 1
Matt says:
Load slot 1
Skillasaur says:
Loading...
You are in an open topped room. There is a door to the north.
Matt says:
Examine room
Skillasaur says:
Inside the room seems to be littered with various builders tools. There is a toolbox, nail gun, packet of nails and torch to your west.
Matt says:
Take toolbox, nail gun, nails and torch. Place them all in gigantic pocket
Skillasaur says:
Taken. Your pocket is now swollen
Matt says:
Rub ointment to reduce swelling
Skillasaur says:
You lack item: Ointment.
Matt says:
Exit north
Skillasaur says:
You exit through the north door. The door swings shut behind you. Inside the room is completely dark save for 4 neon lights on the north wall.
Matt says:
TORCH ON
Skillasaur says:
You try to switch the torch on but the bulb appears to be broken
Matt says:
Examine neon lights
Skillasaur says:
The neon lights are situated about a meter apart from each other on the northern wall. Each of them appears to have a switch beneath them.
Matt says:
Unscrew neon light 1
Skillasaur says:
The neon tube is fixed securely to the wall.
Skillasaur says:
You have nothing with which to unscrew it.
Matt says:
Yes I DO
Matt says:
I HAVE A FUCKING TOOLBOX
Matt says:
Open toolbox
Skillasaur says:
The toolbox is empty save for a note
Matt says:
Read note
Skillasaur says:
Out for lunch, be back soonish.
Matt says:
Exit south
Skillasaur says:
You are back in the open topped room
Matt says:
Take tools off floor and place in toolbox
Skillasaur says:
Invalid syntax. There are no tools.
Matt says:
"Inside the room seems to be littered with various builders tools. There is a toolbox, nail gun, packet of nails and torch to your west."
Skillasaur says:
The nail gun and toolbox gave you that impression
Matt says:
DAMN
Matt says:
Exit north
Skillasaur says:
You enter the dark room again
Matt says:
Press button under first light
Skillasaur says:
You push the first switch. The 4th light goes out. You hear a distant click.
Matt says:
Find source of click
Skillasaur says:
The click seems to be coming from your east.
Matt says:
Search to zee east
Skillasaur says:
You fumble around for a while but it's impossible to even know how big the room is without a brighter source of light.
Matt says:
Press button under second button
Matt says:
Light
Skillasaur says:
You press the second switch. The second and third lights turn off.
Matt says:
Press fourth button
Skillasaur says:
You press the fourth button. The fourth light turns on and the first light turns off
Matt says:
Press first button
Skillasaur says:
The fourth light turns off. You hear a click. You heard a sliding sound in front of you.
Matt says:
Check for slidey sound opening
Skillasaur says:
You can feel an indent in the wall you couldn't see when there was light; however there seems to be a second panel.
Matt says:
Feel panel to find purpose
Skillasaur says:
If your first assumption is correct in that this indent has been opened by turning off all the lights this second panel might also be related to the switches.
Matt says:
Press first button
Skillasaur says:
You press the first button. You hear a click and the forth light turn on. There is no visible trace of the indent.
Matt says:
THE INDENT DISAPEARED?>
Skillasaur says:
It appears so.
Matt says:
Press first button
Matt says:
Place toolbox in indent
Skillasaur says:
You press the first button. You hear a click and the forth light goes out. you are in the dark again
Skillasaur says:
Toolbox placed.
Matt says:
Press first button
Skillasaur says:
You hear a click and then a crunching sound and the forth light flickers.
Skillasaur says:
From its light you can see the remains of your toolbox. The metal toolbox is wedged fully in a gap in the indent.
Skillasaur says:
It has been crushed to the extent it has expanded to fill the gap.
Matt says:
Hmm
Matt says:
Take out toolbox
Skillasaur says:
You take out the toolbox and the panel slams shut over the remaining pieces.
Skillasaur says:
The forth light is now on
Matt says:
Swear at the panel in confusion
Skillasaur says:
You swear at the panel profusely. It sits there... mocking you.
Skillasaur says:
You stand there thinking deeply on your predicament as time passes.
Matt says:
Screw bulb on torch in better so it works
Skillasaur says:
You try to manipulate the bulb on the torch but, from the noise it makes when you shake it, the filament is completely broken
Matt says:
Press first light, second and fourth
Skillasaur says:
You press the first switch, switching off the forth light. You hear a click.
You press the second switch, turning both the second and third lights.
You press the fourth button, turning on the fourth light and turning on the first light.
Matt says:
What's the click of the first button being pressed?
Skillasaur says:
You have no idea. It seems to originate from the east.
Matt says:
Well all the lights are on so examine east.
Skillasaur says:
You move to the east. You get further this time but it seems the room is much wider than you originally anticipated. The circle of light is simply too small to provide enough visibility.
Skillasaur says:
You feel you are on the right track however.
Matt says:
Keep going, feel with hands!
Skillasaur says:
You keep going feeling with hands. You are well out of the lights range now. You feel a slight breeze coming from in front of you.
Matt says:
Find source of breeze
Skillasaur says:
You travel forwards cautiously. The breeze appears to be coming from below you. Continue y/n?
Matt says:
Y
Skillasaur says:
You crawl on your hands and knees, looking for the source of the breeze when you come to what feels like a ledge. There is a 90 degree angle drop straight in front of you. The breeze is coming out of the drop.
Matt says:
Drop the crumbled toolbox down the drop to see how far it falls
Skillasaur says:
You drop toolbox.
You drop the toolbox down the drop and listen intently
Skillasaur says:
It is several minutes before you give up on hearing a sound
Matt says:
*sigh*
Matt says:
>hint>
Skillasaur says:
You look through your book of hints and try to find a relevant passage.

The lights have several solutions - not all relating to the same puzzle. Sometimes it's best to try everything and see what it does and other times it's best to just use brute force to keep things your way.
Matt says:
Return to buttons, press four, two and one?
Skillasaur says:
You press 3 of the four buttons again. The lights are out and you hear a click.
Matt says:
Condition of first panel?
Skillasaur says:
The indent is open but as you feel it there is still a panel blocking your way. It's possible that this panel moves in sequence to the indent.
Skillasaur says:
Hence the sliding noise earlier
Matt says:
But the indent closes when the lights aren't off
Skillasaur says:
Correct.
Matt says:
Press button three
Skillasaur says:
You press button three. You hear a sliding noise and all lights turn on.
Matt says:
Sliding noise was the panel closing?
Skillasaur says:
The panel was closed when you pressed button 3
Matt says:
Indent closing w/e
Skillasaur says:
There is no visible trace of the indent.
Matt says:
Break open indent!
Skillasaur says:
You try to break open the indent but without seeing where it is and only feeling where it is you can't help but feel your hitting the wrong part of the wall.
Skillasaur says:
The lights are still on btw
Matt says:
Press one, four and two?
Skillasaur says:
The lights turn off. You hear a click.
Matt says:
Check indent, check panel
Skillasaur says:
The indent is open. There seems to be no panel blocking your way this time.
Skillasaur says:
You check inside the indent. a small oddly rounded object meets your fingers.
Matt says:
Take object
Skillasaur says:
You take the object.
Matt says:
Press 3 so lights are on, examine object
Skillasaur says:
The object appears to be a bulb
Matt says:
Change bulb on torch
Skillasaur says:
You replace the broken bulb with the new one
Skillasaur says:
You have obtained working torch.
Your score is now 2/10
Matt says:
Torch ON!
Skillasaur says:
You turn the torch on. It flickers slightly before switching on. The batteries must be low as the torch is giving out little light.
Matt says:
Use torch on east to see wtf the hole is
Skillasaur says:
You shine your torch to the east but the beam is quickly enveloped by the oppressive darkness. You cannot see more than a few feet in front of you.
Matt says:
Question physics on jumping on the breeze in such a way I would float?
Skillasaur says:
You talk to physics extensively on the subject of non-aerodynamic forms floating on slight gusts of wind but physics makes a convincing argument against it.
Matt says:
Press button one
Skillasaur says:
You press button one. The forth light goes out. You hear a click.
Matt says:
Check east for hole
Skillasaur says:
You travel east but quickly come up against a wall.
Matt says:
Examine wall
Skillasaur says:
You could only see this wall because of your torch
Skillasaur says:
The wall seems like a wall; however it looks thin and lightweight.
Matt says:
Kick it
Skillasaur says:
You kick it. The wall shudders visibly and almost swings but doesn't break
Matt says:
Use knife to cut the wall
Skillasaur says:
You attack the wall with one of your throwing knives, imbedding it in the plaster. In order to cut it away like that would take weeks.
Matt says:
>hint>
Skillasaur says:
Again the lights and its environs could be related to other puzzles. The wall only appears to be there when the fourth light is off. Torches can be most effective in small, dark spaces.
Matt says:
Press button err... three
Skillasaur says:
All lights turn on. You hear a click.
Matt says:
Check east D:?
Skillasaur says:
You head east. The darkness is still too great for your torch to deal with however.
Skillasaur says:
If you continue it will be the same as traveling without the torch
Matt says:
Condition of indent and panel?
Skillasaur says:
The indent is not visible as lights are on
Matt says:
Press one, two four
Skillasaur says:
All lights are off. You hear a click
Matt says:
Condition of panel and indent
Skillasaur says:
You view the indent with your new-found torch. From the construction of the indent it appears to work on two separate mechanisms - the panel on switch 3 and the indent on all lights. You realize that if you had wanted to keep the panel open you could always have used the nail gun to force it still as you opened the indent.

Inside is a box shaped compartment in which you found the torch. Using the
Skillasaur says:
Torch you can see a box in the back of the compartment
Matt says:
gdi I knew that was there the whole time
Matt says:
Take box
Skillasaur says:
You try to reach in and take the box but it is lodged in to snuggly to get a grip
Matt says:
Open box
Skillasaur says:
The box is in the compartment on its side. You see no visible way to open the box without first removing it from the compartment
Matt says:
Nail gun the ****en slider thingy so it stays open
Skillasaur says:
You see no point in nail gunning the slider if you already know how to open it properly.
Matt says:
Check inventory
Skillasaur says:
You have in your inventory: Vest [equipped] knives, paper grenade, m79, torch, broken bulb, nail gun, nails.
Matt says:
I'M GONNA GIVE UP IN A SECOND
Matt says:
PRESS FOUR AND TWO!
Skillasaur says:
lol this is like the last two pieces of this puzzle
Skillasaur says:
Just say hint already
Matt says:
>hint>
Skillasaur says:
In order to remove a box from a compartment of the same size you'd need to attach something to it. Failing that wedging something that you can pull on into the box might help
Matt says:
What the **** did you just say?
Skillasaur says:
Translation: stab the box with a knife then pull mmk?
Matt says:
You never told me the box was stabable, or the same size as compartment
Skillasaur says:
You try to reach in and take the box but it is lodged in to snuggly to get a grip
Skillasaur says:
Kind of implies it.
Skillasaur says:
And stabability is just creativity
Matt says:
Stab box, take out box
Skillasaur says:
You have obtained "****ty wooden box" Inside you find two Duracell batteries
Matt says:
Replace batteries in torch
Skillasaur says:
You replace the batteries. Your torch is now comparable to a floodlight
Matt says:
Examine east
Skillasaur says:
You look to the east and see a wall stretching from the lights in the north to the door in the south.
Matt says:
orite, press button one
Matt says:
Examine the west wall too
Matt says:
Just for fun
Skillasaur says:
The fourth light turns on. With your new torch you can see that the click you hear from the east is the mechanism winding up the wall into the ceiling
Skillasaur says:
The west wall is stable as ever
Matt says:
Examine big gloomy hole area with floodlight
Skillasaur says:
You travel east using your new floodlight. to the east appears a large cavern stretching the length of the room. The chasm is still too deep for you to see with your torch but you can see it goes a looooong way down
Skillasaur says:
In the middle of the chasm is a short walkway with a door to the east.
Matt says:
Is said walkway in jumpable distance?
Skillasaur says:
No but it appears there may be a bridge across which may be serviceable
Matt says:
Attempt to use bridge
Skillasaur says:
You approach the bridge. On closer inspection the bridge is more comparable to stepping stones: huge towers protruding from the void below
Skillasaur says:
With your torch it is easy to plan a way across and you step easily from one platform to another before reaching the other side.
Matt says:
AHAH!
Matt says:
GO east
Skillasaur says:
You arrive at the east door. It is missing a door knob.
Matt says:
Use the broken bulb as a door knob
Skillasaur says:
Using your uber mechanical skills you manage to fashion the broken bulb remains into some sort of serviceable lever for the door.
Matt says:
Open zee door
Skillasaur says:
You try to open the door but realize you need the door knob actually attached
Matt says:
Use weird bulb lever on door
Skillasaur says:
You notice the hole where the door knob is meant to be attached but have no clear way to attach it. There are four small holes surrounding the large hole.
Matt says:
Use the nail gun to attach it via the 4 holes
Skillasaur says:
You nail your improvised door knob to the door and twist it. Success! the door opens.
Matt says:
Go through door
Skillasaur says:
You exit east. You have completed part 2.
Your score is 3/10 + 2 bonus points.
You have used 3 hints.
You drop redundant items: Nail gun, nails.
Matt says:
Hey ****er, I want that
Skillasaur says:
lol well tuff
Skillasaur says:
I could be evil and say "You are out of nails and your nail gun broke" if you want.
Matt says:
Go east!
Skillasaur says:
lol you want to continue?
Skillasaur says:
Thought you were gonna give up in a minute.
Matt says:
Only cos I couldn't do that ****en puzzle
Skillasaur says:
And you think the others will be easier?
Matt says:
YES BRING IT ONNN
Skillasaur says:
I'm a master of adventure games remember?
Skillasaur says:
Sigh.
Skillasaur says:
W/e
Skillasaur says:
Loading...
Skillasaur says:
You step through the door to the east but realize a second too late there is no floor in this room.
Skillasaur says:
You start falling.
Matt says:
Dig knives into wall to stop fall
Skillasaur says:
You quickly grab your knives from your vest and dig two of them into the wall near you. The knives bounce from the force the first time but you persevere and manage to impale both of them in the wall. Thankfully the wall is weak and tears like paper and you don't manage to dislocate your arms
Skillasaur says:
You slow to a stop.
Matt says:
Examine surroundings
Skillasaur says:
You appear to be in a surprisingly well lit shaft which leads to a pit approximately 100 meters below. There is a shallow pool of water below you and flashing lights above you.
Skillasaur says:
You also hear some distant music
Matt says:
Use knives and slowly shimmy my way down
Skillasaur says:
You let go of one of your knives but suddenly feel the other one start to slip. You manage to grab the knife quickly enough to prevent your falling. You don't think the knives are wedged firmly enough to support your full weight for a substantial time.
Matt says:
Do a spider man and jump, fall for a bit, dig in, jump fall for a bit, dig in.
Skillasaur says:
Your arms begin to hurt and you estimate you have 5 actions before you'll have to let go
Skillasaur says:
You realize that if you jump you will have to leave your knives behind. Having only 5 knives means that you will only be able to jump once.
Matt says:
Err
Matt says:
>hint>?
Skillasaur says:
What would a normal person do if they found themselves hanging from a sheer cliff face?
Your arms are really beginning to burn. 4 actions left.
Matt says:
They would climb back up!
Skillasaur says:
With no holds? I think not. 3 actions left.
Matt says:
Prayer to the lord, jump
Skillasaur says:
Are you sure?
Matt says:
Yes
Skillasaur says:
Okay...
Skillasaur says:
Your body hangs from the two knives imbedded haphazardly into the wall. You desperately think of ways to fix your situation but when no inspiration comes to you you put you trust into the only person who's ever been there for you. You say a quick prayer to the lord and push away from the wall.
Skillasaur says:
For a moment you hang in the air before gravity takes its toll. You spin wildly as you fall the 100 meter drop to the floor below. Your life flashes before your eyes - all brief moments of it in this building. Your eyes close as you reach the final few feet and hit the shallow water below with the force of a ten ton block
Skillasaur says:
You suddenly hear a crack and then blinding pain shoots through you. Your lying in the water, conscious as the pain rips through you. You quickly assess the damage the fall did and find both of your legs and both of your arms unwilling to respond to commands
Matt says:
That's impossible, force = mass x acceleration
Matt says:
For me to hit at a force of a ten ton block
Skillasaur says:
...it's a figure of speech dumbass.
Matt says:
I would have to be accelerating very fast
Matt says:
But to accelerate that fast, I would have to ignore wind resistance
Skillasaur says:
You glance to your left and see your arms horribly twisted. You realize with horror that there's no way you could possibly force yourself out of the water or turn over. You lay there, lungs slowly filling with bloodied water.
Skillasaur says:
You spend your final moments wondering what it would have been like to trust in something other than a fictional being.
Skillasaur says:
Game Over.
Matt says:
Quick load, as its Half-life, it would have saved at the loading.
Skillasaur says:
You load the nearest auto-save.
You step through the door to the east but realize a second too late there is no floor in this room.
You start falling.
Matt says:
Stab knives into wall
Skillasaur says:
You quickly grab your knives from your vest and dig two of them into the wall near you. The knives bounce from the force the first time but you persevere and manage to impale both of them in the wall. Thankfully the wall is weak and tears like paper and you don't manage to dislocate your arms
Matt says:
Fall a long distance before sing more knives to dig in
Skillasaur says:
You abandon you're two knives dug into the walls and control your fall, digging two more knives into the wall slightly further down
Matt says:
Jump into water
Skillasaur says:
You glance to the water, still probably over 30 meters away. Are you sure? Y/n
Matt says:
Y, control fall, land by rolling
Skillasaur says:
You push away from the wall aggressively, spinning to control your fall, approaching the ground feet first.
Skillasaur says:
You land in the shallow water, it doing little to cushion your fall. Rolling on impact you manage to convert much of your downward force into lateral force preventing most injury but as you stand up you feel your left leg give way under you weight.
Skillasaur says:
You are kneeling in a room full of shallow water.
Matt says:
Do a FF and rest to heal leg
Skillasaur says:
You cannot rest here.
Matt says:
Use torch to search surroundings
Skillasaur says:
There is no need for torch as surroundings are well lit from a wall light to your west.
Matt says:
Search the surroundings then
Skillasaur says:
You examine your surroundings.
You appear to be in a slightly flooded room. There is a door to the north and a hatch to the south which is letting in a steady stream of water.
Skillasaur says:
There is also, as already mentioned a large wall light
Matt says:
Crawl north
Skillasaur says:
You crawl north, wading through the water. You notice that your leg leaves behind a red trail in the water.
You reach the north door.
Matt says:
Open door
Skillasaur says:
You open the door. In the next room you can see what looks like a cloth floating in the water with books surrounding it. There is a bookcase on the eastern wall.
Skillasaur says:
The narrator gets annoyed at you continuing to play FF.
Matt says:
Take cloth, tie around wound]
Skillasaur says:
You approach the cloth and grab it underneath is a human body.
Matt says:
GASP
Skillasaur says:
You tie the cloth around your wound in a tourniquet. You immediately experience severe pain from your wound.
Matt says:
Examine wound to analyze damage
Skillasaur says:
You examine your wound. To your horror it seems that the wound wasn't caused purely by the fall. There are pieces of what looks like glass imbedded in your leg and it is situated at a funny angle
Matt says:
SAVE GAME SLOT 2
Skillasaur says:
Saved.

LordAsriel
June 11th 2007, 20:07:15

Funnycreature
June 12th 2007, 01:58:00

Syndel
June 12th 2007, 02:01:40
...?

You need to login to add comments and ratings.
Username:[ Get PHQ User ]
Password:

Total Personal Pages: 220 - Total series: 115 - Total texts: 880
More StatisticsRankingsPersonal PagesArticles
Copyright Muddasheep 2003-2099
0.480047941207886